Why is this video in black and white? I have no idea. I think the light was so dim on the tourbus that it worked better to film it that way. Video cameras in 2003 were pretty primitive. I’ve lost touch with Sam, but Interpol is still recording and releasing some of their best music yet. Check out 2018’s “Marauder” album.
With their release of their debut, Turn on the Bright Lights, Interpol has become the darling of the new music scene. They are part of what I call the “New New Wave,” exhibited both in their Joy Division-esque musical stylings and their exclusively red-and-black, suit-and-tie, stage attire. Interpol has been touring relentlessly for a year and expect to keep doing so through 2003. Sam Fogarino, drummer, is the member of the band with culinary prowess. He’s passionate about cooking and misses it while on the road.
About the interview
Sam and I had a nice dinner together before the interview… the man knows his food! The interview happened later on the Interpol tour bus.
Pasta with Mushroom Cream Sauce
This dish is best with a wide, flat noodle (fettuccine, parapadelle, etc…). Source out fresh over dried.
- 1 pint of heavy whipping cream
- 1 Lg portobello mushroom (almost to puree via food processor)
- 8 (or so) cream [white] shrooms, chopped
- 4 porcini shrooms, chopped (these things are not cheap!)
- 2 tablespoons of X-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup of white wine (cooking, drinkin’, don’t matter)
- 1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 3/4 lb of fresh pasta
- chopped italian parsley – as much or as little as desired
- Boil water for pasta. If you’re using fresh pasta, it will only take a minute or two, so throw it in the water once the mushrooms and cream (steps 2 and 3) are ready. If you are using dried, allow 8 minutes to cook and time appropriately. Be sure to NOT over-cook the pasta—ALWAYS AL DENTE.
- Heat olive oil in a large fry pan. Add portobello, white, and porcini mushrooms, and the wine. Cook until tender.
- In a separate pan, heat cream to a bubbling point. Then, add shrooms, parmesan cheese, and cooked pasta until all is incorporated and warmed through.
- Sprinkle w/ parsley. Now eat.