Spicy Cucumber Salad with Peanuts
This recipe comes from Food and Wine magazine. It goes great with grilled meats in the summertime. Plan ahead, because it takes a while to salt and drain the cucumbers.
Serves 4 to 6 (this recipe is easy to cut in half)
- 1 1/2 lbs. cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 2 t. kosher salt
- 1/2 c. rice vinegar
- 1/2 c. water
- 3 T. sugar
- 1/2 t. crushed red pepper
- 2 T. minced red onion
- 1 T. chopped dry-roasted peanuts (unsalted)
- Place the cucumber slices in a colander; sprinkle with salt. Toss well. Let drain in the sink 1 hour. Place cucumber slices on several layers of paper towels; cover with additional paper towels. Let stand 5 minutes, pressing down occasionally. Rinse and pat dry. (Note: do not skimp on this step. It is crucial to get as much liquid out of the cucumbers as possible or the salad will be a soupy mess.)
- Combine the vinegar, water, sugar, and pepper in a small saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and cook until reduced to 1/3 cup (about 10 minutes). Remove reduction from heat; cool. Stir in minced red onion.
- Combine cucumbers and vinegar reduction in a medium bowl and toss well. Sprinkle with peanuts.
All content copyright © Jennifer Robbins and Jenville Productions