Polish Cabbage Soup
Eric Johnson of The Fruit Bats
This soup is based on a chicken-cabbage soup at one of Eric’s favorite Polish restaurants in Chicago, but he likes to do it vegetarian.
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2-3 Tbs. vegetable or safflower oil
- 2 potatoes, cut into 1/2” cubes
- salt and pepper
- broth (vegetable or chicken)
- italian parsley, chopped (lots)
- sauerkraut (you can buy it prepared)
- saute onion, garlic, and celery in vegetable oil until softened and translucent.
- add potatoes and salt & pepper (liberally).
- add enough broth to cover by 1/2” to 1” and simmer until potatoes are soft, approximately 10 minutes.
- add sauerkraut (to taste) and parsley and simmer a while longer until hot and flavors are blended.
All content copyright © Jennifer Robbins and Jenville Productions