Martin Hederos (The Soundtrack of Our Lives)
Very based on a Dean and Deluca recipe but with some additions.
- approx. 1-3/4 lb. (800g) Lamb chopped in cubes (1.5in/3cm), cheap cuts works fine, bones left good!
- 1 Eggplant (aubergine) cut in kind of same size cubes
- 2 small or 1 big finely chopped onion
- 5 cloves finely chopped garlic
- approx. 1/2lb. (200 g) dried fruits (apricots, figs dates, apples works fine too) chopped in big pieces
- approx. 1/4lb. (100 g) big green olives in halves without pits
- 1 Tbs star anise
- 1 Tbs dried ginger
- 1 Tbs cumin
- 1 Tbs chili powder
- 1 Tbs dried sweet pepper
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- water (enough to cover)
- Fresh cilantro (coriander) chopped
- lemon zest from a well washed lemon (try to find an organic one)
- Put all the spices (not the salt) in a dry pan and roast until it starts to smell nice.
- Put them all in a mortar and grind them and blend them well with the salt.
- Cover the meat in the spices, work it in well with your hands.
- Heat a good amount of olive oil in a big oven-proof dish that has a lid, brown the meat on all sides.
- Remove the meat from the hot pan and brown the eggplant. Put it aside with the meat once brown.
- Lower the heat and fry the onions and garlic carefully, do not brown.
- Cover with water, add cinnamon stick, and bring to boil, put on the lid and put in oven on 390F (200C).
- Let it stay in the oven until tender, 1-2 hours depending on the texture of the meat.
- Add the fruits and the olives. Roast for approx. 20 minutes without lid until golden on the top.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and lemon zest and drizzle some honey over the whole thing.
Serve! (with couscous)
All content copyright © Jennifer Robbins and Jenville Productions