This is the easiest possible dessert recipe (from Cooking Light, and it’s so yummy. It’s also very portable if you put it together in a tall storage canister, so it’s a good dish to bring to a party. People love dessert in a bucket!
- 1 devils food cake mix
- 1 3.9 oz. package chocolate (or devils food) instant pudding mix
- 1 tub of Cool Whip
- 4 toffee bars (such as Skor or Heath)
- 1/2 cup Kahlua (if you’re tempted to use more, don’t. This works well.)
- Make the cake in a 9×12 pan according to directions. Allow to cool.
- Make instant pudding according to directions. Allow to set up.
- Crush the toffee bars into crumbs in a zip-lock bag. Measure out the kahlua. Okay, now you’re ready to go.
- Make the trifle in a trifle dish or other tall, cylindrical container with clear sides (I use a spiffy 3-qt. plastic storage canister with a locking lid). Rip up half the cake and toss it in the bottom of the container. Pour half of the kahlua (1/4 cup) over the cake pieces. Top the cake with 1/2 of the pudding. Top the pudding with a layer of Cool Whip to taste (about 1/2 to 1 inch is good). Sprinkle about half of the toffee bar crumbs over the Cool Whip.
- Now do that again: A layer of the remaining ripped-up cake, the remaining kahlua, pudding, Cool Whip, and toffee bar.
- I find letting it sit for a little while helps the kahlua to permeate everything. It can actually be made quite a while ahead of time.
All content copyright © Jennifer Robbins and Jenville Productions