Cesina's Sausage in Tomato Sauce
- 5 lbs Cesina’s Sausage (or other brand sweet italian sausage links)
- 1 16oz can of unseasoned tomato sauce OR about 10 diced roma tomatoes
- at least four large cloves of garlic (add to taste)
- a bunch of fresh basil
- a couple of bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large onion (not sweet! and feel free to add more)
- Around 3 or 4 green/red peppers
1. Start by browning about 5 pounds of sausage on a baking sheet in the oven at a temp of about 400 degrees.
2. Meanwhile start your sauce on the stove. Over medium heat cooked tomatoes (or can of sauce), crushed or diced garlic, bay leaves, and salt and pepper. As sauce cooks down, add fresh chopped basil. Do not allow sauce to cook down all the way – it still needs to be very liquid before the bake.
3. Once sausage is browned, transfer to a deep dish or pan (big enough to accommodate all sausage and sauce). Make sure pan is covered with a lid or tin foil. Stick back in the oven to cook.
4. Let cook for at least 20 minutes before checking on mixture.
5. When sauce is almost cooked down, add chopped peppers and onions (thus to not overcook).
Leave in for another ten minutes or so, and then take out, allow to cool down, and enjoy!
- at least two heads of broccoli
- 4 or more cloves of garlic (to taste)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- fresh basil
- extra virgin Olive Oil
1. Chop heads of broccoli and steam until broccoli is nice and soft.
2. At the end of steaming, start a pan with a generous coating of olive oil and heat with chopped garlic. Do not let garlic burn or your dish is ruined.
3. Drain broccoli and add to warm pan. Proceed by mashing broccoli (which should be very easy if steamed long enough)
4. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix frequently and simmer.
5. Add oil as desired; this dish should always remain “wet”
6. Add basil and stir 5 minutes or so before finished cooking.
7. Continue adding any ingredient to taste as needed.
About this Artist
The All For Nots
The All-For-Nots are a Brooklyn-based band born of the pseudo-documentary web sitcom of the same name. Although they spoof on the Brooklyn hipster music scene, these guys and gals have serious musical chops. Watch their "triumphant" tour across America at www.TheAllForNots.com
About the interview
An evening of sausage and bourbon in Williamsburg… how can you go wrong?! The sky was black and ominous all through the barbecue, but fortunately the deluge held off until we were done taping and safely tucked away at a local bar. The All-For-Nots are lots of fun to hang out with (and they ain’t bad to look at either)!
Jennifer Robbins and James Holland
All content copyright © Jennifer Robbins and Jenville Productions